Paulette was faced with a professional dilemma years ago: She had become a "successful" Bay Street lawyer, yet something didn't feel right to her. What did she do? Paulette engaged the services of a coach to explore her career options.
Check out an interview
for a live autobiography in addition to reading on...
In 2010, Paulette left a comfortable job to boldly launch a coaching practice that engages lawyers exclusively. Becoming a coach herself was an exciting opportunity. Paulette had always considered herself a "coach." More importantly, she recognized a need for more creativity in her life. This is how Creative Choices™
While still practicing, Paulette became a trained coach and mediator, and learned to play the guitar. These creative endeavours gave Paulette an appreciation for process.
Paulette continued to study other processes of interest. From conflict management and non-defensive communication to painting and improvisational acting, Paulette experienced the elegance of breaking down a concept into bite-size pieces for maximum learning.
As her coaching practice evolved, it became clear to Paulette that her process was assisting clients to make bite-size decisions towards a bigger goal. Paulette realized that, at its core, she was slowing down the thinking patterns of her clients so that they could assess their thoughts. Not only did she observe increased confidence and motivation in her clients, she witnessed each one of them crafting solutions and plans that she could not have foreseen or made up herself!
Over time, Paulette simplified her coaching process and assessed it against business design models. With a fresh perspective came a moment of clarity: success depends on the quality of choices. Paulette recognized that her process engages clients to create choices that align with their values, strengths and aspirations.
Today, Creative Choices™
is a sought-after technique by lawyers, law students and law firms when faced with professional challenges of all kinds. Paulette is invited to speak annually at law schools across Ontario to share her insights into navigating the job market in the 21st century. Her work has been featured in Canadian Lawyer magazine, the Canadian Bar Association and the Ontario Bar Association.
Read below for more about Paulette's work experience, training and education, professional associations and what colleagues have said about her work as a litigator.
- Mentor and Assessor, Law Practice Program, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Curriculum Designer of Professionalism Mentor Meetings, Law Practice Program, 2014, 2017, 2018
- Education Consultant, Toronto Lawyers Association, 2014-Present
- Course Content Developer, Internationally Trained Lawyers Program, University of Toronto, 2012
- Litigation Counsel, Investigation Counsel Professional Corporation, 2010-2016
- Litigation Associate, Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, 2004-2010
- Articles of Clerkship, Office of the Chief Justice of the Superior Court of Justice for Ontario, 2003
- Summer Student, Goodman & Carr LLP, 2002
Training and Education
- Certified Career Strategist, Career Professionals of Canada, 2016-Present
- Certified Résumé Strategist, Career Professionals of Canada, 2015-Present
- Conflict Management Coaching, Cinergy Coaching, April 2012
- Improvisation, Second City, February - April 2012
- Conflict Coaching, St. Stephen’s Conflict Resolution Service, October 2011
- Non-Defensive Communication,The Institute for Powerful Non-Defensive Communication, 2011
- Moving Toward Artful Coaching, Adler International Learning, May 2011
- Coaching in the Context of Work, Adler International Learning, December 2010
- Foundations of Professional Coaching, Adler International Learning, May 2010
- Interpersonal Mediation, St. Stephen’s Conflict Resolution Service, June 2010
- Member, International Coach Federation, 2010 - Present
- Osgoode Trial Advocacy Programme, 2006
- LL.B, Faculty of Law, University of Windsor, 2003
- B.A. (High Honours) in Law, Concentration in Criminology, Carleton University, 1999
What Colleagues Say About Paulette's Work as a Litigator
"Paulette is an innovative and dynamic lawyer who has not only earned the respect and appreciation of all she has encountered during her time at the clinic, but done so in a manner that displays unique legal and personal talents. Her thoughtful and creative ways of communicating with clients have always ensured that clients get the messages they need to pursue their cases more effectively. This combination of legal skill and unique representation have been extremely valuable to Law Help Ontario."
"Having had the chance to work with Paulette as a former colleague and client, I can say she brings a fresh perspective to situations which yields results in ways people may not always find on their own.”
"I had the pleasure of working with Paulette on products liability matters and defence of complex institutional sexual abuse claims. She is a fearless advocate, works hard and cares enough to want to learn about how our clients do business so that she can provide the very best advice to assist in achieving the very best solution. She gained the confidence of all she worked with. Paulette travels widely, contributes to the community and her empathy and willingness to help others rounds out her considerable skills as legal counsel." Rob Bell, Partner. Lerners (formerly at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, where he mentored and worked with Paulette)